Roane Family Tree

Anthony Roane

Anthony Roane died May 11, 1583 the son of Humphrey Roane.  He married Alice Dale and later Audrey Fernley of Creating Suffolk.  They had three kids:

A.  Edward Roane- married Anne Harrington and had children: Anthony, Mary, Temperance, Dorothy, Audrey and Francis.
B.  Jeromy Roane- married Eleanor Baskerville the daughter of Sir Thomas Baskerville of Herfordshire, had one son Thomas.
C.  Humphrey Roane- was a matriculated parishioner at Trinity Hall in Cambridge

Anthony Roane bought property at Hounslow:

----Manor of Hounslow, and site of the priory.

In the Bishop's registry at Winchester are letters (dated 1507 and 1511 (fn. 63) ) to the clergy of that diocese, exhorting them to make collections for "the hospital at Howndeslowe, of the order of the Tri"nity, for the redemption of captives." No writers date the institution of this order at an earlier period than 1196. Hospinian fixes it in 1211 (fn. 64) . The most ancient record I have seen relating to the priory at Hounslow is a charter, bearing date 1296, which grants to the brethren of the Holy Trinity a weekly market at that place on Wednesday, and an annual fair on the Eve and the Feast of the Holy Trinity, the morrow and the five ensuing days (fn. 65) . The market has been discontinued, but the fair is still held on Trinity Monday (fn. 66) . Various grants relating to the priory will be found in the notes (fn. 67) . At its suppression in 1530, its revenues were valued at 78l. 8s. 6d. per annum (fn. 68) . The manor and site of the priory, having been annexed by Henry VIII. to the honour of Hampton Court, was leased in 1539 to Richard Awnsham, Esq. for twenty-one years; and by Edward VI. in 1553 to William Parr, Marquis of Northampton, for the same term, commencing after the expiration of Awnsham's lease (fn. 69) . In 1557 the reversion of the said premises, consisting of the friars' house, 117 acres of land, with all the appurtenances thereto belonging, together with the fair, market, court-leet, &c. was sold for the sum of 905l. 13s. 4d. to William Lord Windsor (fn. 70) ; whose son Edward Lord Windsor, in 1571, sold the priory and all its appurtenances, with the demesne lands, to Anthony Roan, Esq. the queen's auditor, for the sum of 300l. reserving to himself the manor, with the right of holding courts in the great hall of the manor-house, and an annual rent of 17l. Mr. Roan was bound also to keep in good repair the tombs of the Windsor family in the chapel (fn. 71) . These premises were re-purchased by Henry the fifth Lord Windsor before the year 1596 (fn. 72) ; when the priory with the manor, &c. were aliened by him to Thomas Crompton, Esq. of London (fn. 73) , afterwards Sir Thomas Crompton, Knt. whose only child Katherine married Sir Thomas Lyttelton, and jointly with her husband conveyed this estate in 1625 to Justinian Povey, Esq. (fn. 74) It was sold by the Povey family in 1671 to James Smith and Henry Meuse, who conveyed it the ensuing year to Henry Sayer, Esq. (fn. 75) It was purchased in the year 1705, of Loftus Brightwell, Esq. and others, by Whitlocke Bulstrode, Esq. (fn. 76) From him it descended to his grandson Richard Bulstrode, Esq. whose widow Mrs. Sophia Bulstrode (daughter of Charles Tryon, Esq. of Bullwick in the county of Northampton (fn. 77) ) is now lady of the manor.

---Church of the Holy Trinity

The church of HOLY TRINITY, Hounslow, was originally the chapel of the Trinitarian friary at Hounslow. It survived the Dissolution and in 1547 was being maintained by the parishioners of Isleworth and Heston, no doubt chiefly by such of them as lived in Hounslow. (fn. 63) The chapel, however, formed part of the manor-house or former friary building and was the private property of its owners. (fn. 64) One of these owners, Anthony Roan (fl. 1571), was said to have given the chapel and £2 a year to the inhabitants on condition they maintained a minister there: (fn. 65) the chapel in fact remained the property of his successors, and the £2 became the endowment of the living: (fn. 66) by 1723 it had increased to £20 and was supplemented by local contributions. In 1766 it was worth £30, with pew rents in addition. (fn. 67) Because the chapel stood on the north side of the road in Heston parish, it was sometimes referred to as a chapel of ease of that church. (fn. 68) The curates seem always to have been appointed by the owner of Hounslow manor. Two were licensed in the 16th and 17th centuries, (fn. 69) but they never seem to have received licences in the 18th, and Joseph Benson (d. 1861) recorded that he became curate in 1814 without licence, because the bishop doubted from whom he could accept a nomination. (fn. 70) It may have been its status as a donative that led Glover to describe the chapel in 1635 as a peculiar. (fn. 71)

------- The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1558-1603, ed. P.W. Hasler, 1981.  Here is the entry:

Family and Education

1st s. of Humphrey Roane of Whiston, Yorks. by Marian, da. of one Selby of Yorks. m. (1) Alice Dale, s.p.; (2) Audrey, da. of Thomas Fernley of Creeting St. Mary, Suff., 3s. 1da.

Offices Held

Under-auditor of Exchequer by 1558; j.p.q. Mdx. by 1569.1

Biography

Roane had a little land in the West Riding of Yorkshire at Adel, Cottingham and Wooderson; at one time he also owned the site of Middlesbrough priory, which he sold in 1572. Apart from a crown lease in Carmarthenshire, the rest of his estate was in the south of England. At his death he left fee-simple land in Hatton and Heston, Middlesex, as well as his house at Hounslow and the New Inn and a ‘brewing-house’ there. When in London he presumably lived in the parish of St. Botolph-without-Aldersgate, where he was churchwarden from 1568-9.2

His early career is obscure, but he may have been a minor Exchequer official before 1558, when he was granted the reversion to an auditorship then held by Francis Southwell. The latter did not die until November 1581, but a ‘Mr. Roane’ is described as an auditor as early as June 1558, several months before the patent of reversion was enrolled. Unless there were two Roanes serving in the Exchequer, the 1571 Member was thus an under-auditor before the end of Mary’s reign. He was often employed in the north. On 23 Nov. 1569 Sir Ralph Sadler reported a meeting with him at Burton Stathes, near Barton. ‘Mr. Rone, one of her Majesty’s auditors, who was at York yesterday with my Lord Sussex’ (Sir Thomas Radcliffe, 3rd Earl) had given him a gloomy picture of the military position, saying that the army of the rebellious earls was much stronger than the loyal forces, and that York was running short of supplies. Three days later, however, Sadler wrote again to the Council, describing Roane as ‘a known fearful man’, whose depressing information he now found to be exaggerated.3

During the 1571 Parliament the corporation of York wrote to ‘Mr. Anthony Rowe, esquire, the Queen’s Majesty’s auditor of Yorkshire’, telling him that their parliamentary representatives wished to know particulars of the Queen’s lands in Yorkshire and in the city. If he would help them with his counsel, the mayor and his brethren would be very glad to ‘pleasure’ him ‘if that occasion will serve’. Roane evidently complied with the request, but the burgesses for York ‘could not perceive’ from his books what chantry lands ‘were sold or unsold’. These official connexions with Yorkshire as well as his Yorkshire origins, presumably explain his election to Parliament for Ripon in 1571.4

By this time Roan’s name had begun to appear on Middlesex commissions of the peace, and after 1572 no further references to him in Yorkshire have been found. In January 1576 he was summoned before the Privy Council in London, possibly to give information about the finances of the Savoy, and later in the same year he was asked to investigate complaints of unlawful enclosure of common land by Sir Thomas Gresham in Osterley park. This must have been a delicate task, as he was on very friendly terms with Sir Thomas’s family. Lady Anne Gresham, a relative of Roane’s second wife, was godmother to his daughter, who was named after her.5

Roane died on or about 11 May 1583. The preamble to his will, which was dated 8 Mar. and proved 24 May, quotes Job’s statement that man has but a short time to live and is ‘replenished with many miseries’, and continues with an assurance of escape from death and damnation through Christ’s passion. ‘I, most wretched sinner’, give God hearty thanks for all His gifts ‘and therefore I do say Amen’. He wished to be buried at Hounslow ‘in decent order without pomp’, a learned man being present to ‘exhort the audience to amendment of life whilst time is’. An annuity of £2 was provided for the maintenance of a reader in his house, The Friars, at Hounslow ‘for the divine service’, and any parishioners were welcome to attend the readings. The will included bequests of £200 to Roane’s daughter Anne, £100 to his eldest son Edward (who was only nine years old) on his 22nd birthday, and valuable plate to other relatives and friends. His wife, Audrey, was appointed sole executrix, with four overseers, among them John Conyers. The widow married Sir Edmund Brudenell shortly after Roane’s death, and as she herself died soon afterwards, there were further grants of probate in 1584 and 1587, the first to Sir Edmund and the second to Thomas Brudenell.6

Web Hosting Companies